BENBROOK – Two people were killed after a semi-truck collided with a pickup in Benbrook that shut down Interstate 20 in both directions Friday afternoon.
The accident happened around 2:30 p.m. Friday in the 7600 block of SW Loop 820 along I-20. Police say both of the vehicles were going westbound when they crashed near the 429A exit.
Two people were pronounced dead at the scene. A third person was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
By 4:30 p.m., police were letting some vehicles pass on the shoulders of the highway, said Detective Michael Mullinax, a Benbrook police spokesman. Most of the traffic was being directed to service roads and heavy delays continued through rush hour.
**Update, Saturday, March 11**
One of the victims was identified Saturday as 25-year-old David Flores of Dallas. He died at the scene.
Four ambulances and a helicopter responded to the collision, which throttled traffic through the rush hour. The cause of the accident is still being investigated.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 438,000 trucking accidents occurred in 2014, resulting in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- Texas led the nation in fatal trucking accidents with 553 deaths recorded. California followed Texas with 300 trucking fatalities reported.