There is a common belief that pedestrians always have the right of way, but that is not true in Texas. Personal injury lawyers know that these accidents can be devastating, so it is in everyone’s best interests to follow what the law prescribes.
When Pedestrians Have the Right of Way
The Texas Transportation Code specifies when pedestrians have the right of way and when drivers have it. You can help avoid a Dallas car accident by knowing that pedestrians have the right of way in the following situations:
- If a pedestrian signal says “Walk,” and the individual crosses the street
- A pedestrian crosses the street in a marked or unmarked crosswalk going in the same direction of traffic when the light is green
- The pedestrian crosses a street in a crosswalk and is in the same half of the road as the approaching vehicle
- When a car exits from a driveway, building, or alley, and a pedestrian is walking on a sidewalk that crosses it.
When do Drivers Have the Right of Way?
There are also several situations where the driver has the right of way, including the following:
- The pedestrian approaches an intersection that has a steady red or yellow signal
- The pedestrian signal says “Don’t Walk”
- The pedestrian crosses the street at an intersection outside of a crosswalk
- A pedestrian tunnel or overhead crossing is available, but the pedestrian crosses the street anyway
- A pedestrian is standing in a safe location such as a curb and suddenly enters the crosswalk when it is too late for an approaching vehicle to stop
- If two adjacent intersections both have operating traffic signals, then the pedestrian may only cross the street between those two signals if they are in a marked crosswalk
- If a sidewalk is available, pedestrians are not allowed to walk on the road
An experienced attorney will investigate what caused the pedestrian accident in Dallas and whether or not the driver is liable. If they are, then the pedestrian may be able to recover a number of economic and non-economic damages, ranging from medical bills to pain and suffering to loss of consortium.
Contact our team of pedestrian accidents for a free consultation
In our 30 years of operation, the Reyes Browne Reilley Law Firm has recovered nearly $1 billion in settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of our clients. We are proud of our 98 percent client success rate. If you have questions about pedestrian right of way here in Texas, call us at Reyes Browne Reilley Law Firm 24 hours a day to schedule your free consultation with a personal injury attorney. You will not be charged anything unless you prevail.