Every year on Memorial Day, we take time to honor the brave men and women who lost their lives in the service of our country. Unfortunately, while many holiday weekends carry increased risks for car accidents, this one in particular is considered to be one of the most dangerous for drivers and their passengers on the road. It also marks the start of what Mother’s Against Drunk Driving (MADD) calls the start of the 100 Deadliest Days on the road.
The unofficial start to summer ranks highest in the number of accident fatalities, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, with more than 11% more than an non-holiday weekend, making you four times more likely to lose your life in a traffic accident during that time. While the congested roads and traffic jams play a major role in that statistic, drunk-driving plays an even greater one. According to a research study, intoxicated drivers caused more than 40.3% of all car accidents that took place on Memorial Day weekends between 2011 and 2015.
With more than 34,000,000 drivers expected to be on the road, it’s important to remember these important safety tips:
- Make sure you and your passengers are wearing a seatbelt, even if you’re just driving down the road.
- Avoid distracted driving; that means staying off your cellphone. If you need to make a call, pull over to a safe area.
- Get plenty of rest so you can stay focused on the road.
- If you are planning to drink, designate a sober driver. If you do not have one, call an Uber, Lyft, or taxi to take you to your destination safely.
- Remember the 4 second rule and keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the car in front of you.
- Practice defensive driving. Keep an eye out for cars driving erratically and be sure to change lanes if you get too close.
- Time your departure to avoid congested roads and traffic.
Need an Injury Lawyer?
We are prepared to fight for justice and compensation for the pain you have suffered. After more than 25 years representing injury victims in car wrecks, truck wrecks, and motorcycle accidents, the experienced team of professional accident attorneys at Reyes Browne Reilley have seen the consequences of negligence first-hand. If you have sustained injuries because of a car wreck which was not your fault, contact us now for a free and confidential case review. Fill out our contact form online, or call (214) 526-7900, and we will get you on the road to recovery.