Modern ride sourcing has become part of just about every single city in America since it first debuted in 2011. But as of late, it’s gone from being a safe way to get a ride home from the bar, to a potential
Between the years of 2014 and 2016, the Estey & Bomberger law firm has received nearly 100 sexual assault complaints against Lyft alone. They’re not the only law firm that’s having to deal with this epidemic.
Another law firm based in San Fransisco has been getting anywhere from 5 – 10 complaints against the ride share giant every week. They launched 13 new lawsuits against Lyft in the month of August.
14 women have come forward with the help of Estey & Bomberger to move forward with a massive lawsuit against Lyft, claiming that they’re negligent in the lack of safety features and policies they have instilled in their system.
Lyft has failed to make anything public with concerns for their own publicity’s sake. They have been operating investigations on an internal level rather than allowing law enforcement officials to act on these cases. Lyft has even been reported to fail to comply with government issued subpoenas that they’ve received.
It’s also uncertain that Lyft has even banned these drivers that have been accused of sexual assault. When the victims have been emailing those that represent Lyft they’ve only been given very automated and scripted replies with lack of compassion and answers.
What you can do to ensure this doesn’t happen to you or a loved one:
- When using any form of ride sharing service be sure to make sure you’re getting into the correct car.
- Make sure you have multiple riders with you going to the same location.
- Sit in the back seat away from any drivers.
- Call the person you’re going to go see while in the car and remain on the phone throughout the duration of the ride.
- Record the ride including the driver’s face.
- Be sure to inform multiple people of your ride.
- Do not put an overly intoxicated individual into a ride share vehicle without someone else with them.
- Avoid ride share services entirely and plan for alternative sources for rides.
Have You or Someone You Know Suffering From a Personal Injury?
With more than 25 years representing injury victims in car wrecks, truck wrecks, and motorcycle accidents, the experienced team of professional accident attorneys at Reyes Browne Reilley have seen the consequences of negligence first-hand. If you or your child have sustained injuries because of a car wreck which was not your fault, contact us now for a free and confidential case review. Fill out our contact form online, or call (214) 526-7900, and we will get you started on the road to recovery.