Tragedy struck Arlington late Thursday night when a drunk driver took the lives of three victims in a fiery crash on I-20.
Patrick Beck, 55, and Leah Beck, 23 had parked their car under the South Center Street Overpass along I-20. Another vehicle (whose driver has yet to be identified) had stopped under the overpass in attempt to help repair the Becks’ disabled car. At 11:00 PM, Jose Castro, 29, who was heavily intoxicated, swerved into one of the parked cars, which then collided with the other vehicle, sending all three cars into flames. The two drivers who were outside of their vehicles were thrown over a concrete barrier upon impact, while the other victim was trapped inside the burning car. According to the medical examiner, two of the victims perished at the scene while the other later succumbed to injuries at Medical City Arlington.
Castro was arrested at the scene and is now facing three charges of intoxication manslaughter with a vehicle. If you or anyone you know witnessed the crash, police urge you to call (817) 575-8608.
Unfortunately, drunk driving accidents are in no way a rare occurrence. According to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), 30 people in the United States die every day as a result- that’s one person every 48 minutes in 2017. As we head into summer, where more than 36.5% of these accidents occur, it’s important to follow these important precautions to keep you safe on the road:
- Your best defense against an intoxicated driver is your seatbelt. Always wear one and be sure your passengers do as well.
- If someone you know is intoxicated and about to get behind the wheel, take their keys and arrange a sober ride home for them.
- If you plan on drinking, be sure to appoint a sober driver.
- Call an Uber or a taxi if you feel that you are too impaired to get behind the wheel.
- If you are hosting an event where people are drinking, be sure that everyone has a safe ride home. You can be found liable for any accident they get into.
- If you see a car driving erratically and you suspect the driver is impaired, keep a safe distance from the vehicle and report the license plate to the police.
Need an Injury Lawyer?
We are prepared to fight for justice and compensation for the pain you have suffered. After more than 30 years representing injury victims in car wrecks, truck wrecks, and motorcycle accidents, the experienced team of professional accident attorneys at Reyes Browne Reilley have seen the consequences of negligence first-hand. If you have sustained injuries because of a car wreck which was not your fault, contact us now for a free and confidential case review. Fill out our contact form online, or call (214) 526-7900, and we will get you on the road to recovery.