Angel Reyes III Personal Injury

girl-swallows-fidget-spinner-today-170517-tease_3f35067662eee39b3f3c0108f52c2e11-300x169

The fidget spinner craze goes far past the Internet and into the day-to-day lives for many, but one Texas woman recently had a different experience and is now warning about her daughter’s dangerous encounter.

The mother is sharing the event in hopes it will serve as a warning to other parents about the choking hazards of the latest toy craze.

A fidget spinner has a stable middle and a disc with two or three paddles that can be spun, much like a ceiling fan, to relax the user or help them focus.

Kelly Rose Joniec , of Houston, wrote in a Facebook post that she was on her way home Saturday afternoon when she heard her 10-year-old daughter choking in the back seat. She pulled over and discovered that her daughter had swallowed one of the bearings from her fidget spinner. After trying to dislodge the small piece of metal with the Heimlich maneuver, Joniec took her daughter to the nearest urgent care center.

It wasn’t until after an ambulance ride to Texas Children’s Hospital that an X-ray revealed the round metal bearing in the girl’s esophagus.

In the post, Joniec wrote, “Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object. Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia.”

In Oregon, a fidget spinner broke, causing a metal bearing to fly into a child’s mouth while playing with the device. She also had to have the object removed at a local hospital.

Users hold these gadgets by the middle circle with a finger and thumb, spinning the toy with other fingers. Reports show that brushings within the toys can pop out easily, leading to risk of choking.

While all products have potential dangers, it is important to understand the risks in an attempt to prevent injury – especially to children.

Previous Post Next Post