If you have suffered a physical, emotional or mental injury, one of the first things that you need to do is seek out legal advice. You might be tempted to wait until you feel better but, the longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to obtain the right retribution. When you go to court, mediation or arbitration, you will need an excellent DFW personal injury lawyer by your side. Only such a professional can ensure that your case will have the desired outcome, with proper compensation for the damages you have suffered.
Advantages of using a personal injury lawyer
Like many other areas of the law, personal injury requires both specific knowledge and experience. Only a lawyer who is specialized in this area of the law can deal with complex personal injury cases, ensuring that your rights are respected and that you are given the chance to fight for your case and the best possible outcome.
These are the main advantages that come with using a personal injury lawyer:
- Professional legal service – an experienced, professional lawyer will always stay up-to-date with the latest changes in the field of personal injury law.
- Facilitation of communication – given the years of experience in the field, the personal injury lawyer can facilitate communication between you and the companies that have to provide the necessary compensation (auto, health insurance companies, etc.).
- Thorough case understanding – a personal injury lawyer is capable of understanding your case, fighting to receive the compensation you are entitled to. He/she will consider the long-term consequences of the injuries you have suffered, trying to arrive at a settlement that will represent your best interests and needs.
The personal injury lawyer can help you realize the true extent of your injuries
A personal injury case might seem simple and straightforward at first glance but, in reality, there are a lot of layers that need to be unfolded. The personal injury lawyer can help you realize the true extent of your injuries, peeling your case, layer by layer. Let’s say that you were in a car accident, which led to both physical injuries and material damages. Apart from the obvious strain caused by accident itself, you were unable to work, and you had to re-arrange your daily living activities and so on. Your lawyer can analyze your case, allowing you to understand how much damage has been caused.
Assessment of personal injury lawyers
You can organize a list of personal injury lawyers, based on the referrals made by friends or family members. It is important to choose lawyers who are familiar with both the laws and procedures in the state/county where you live. Personal injury lawyers can also be found through the Internet, classic advertisements and even the phone book. Note: if you have been in an accident that was popularized in the media, you might find yourself to be contacted by personal injury lawyers.
These are the elements to be assessed in choosing a personal injury lawyer:
- Knowledge and experience with state/county laws and procedures
- Ability to handle your type of injury (car wrecks, medical malpractice, defamation, etc.) – experience is one of an essential aspect to take into consideration
- Clean record – the personal injury lawyer of your choice should have a clean record, without disciplinary violations or other actions taken against him/her (disbarment is a sign that you should stay away from that lawyer)
- Online presences – positive reviews, successful cases, etc.
- Objectivity – a good lawyer is not influenced by personal feelings, thoughts, etc.
The interview, an essential part of the process
Once you have shortlisted several personal injury lawyers, it is time to conduct interviews and see which one of these professionals fits your needs the best. These are the steps that you need to take:
- Rank the personal injury lawyers on your list, from 1 to 10, with one being the most likely to be chosen and ten the opposite.
- Set up a meeting with each of the lawyers and discuss your case briefly.
- Perform a quick assessment of this first meeting and the resources that are made available to you.
- Discuss fees, expenses, and other financial matters. Ask for such information to be provided in writing.
- Ask about similar cases the lawyer in question has handled, as this can demonstrate how he/she will be able to handle your case.
Essential aspect to consider and remember – the retainer agreement
When you are trying to find a personal injury lawyer, you might be amazed at the number of professionals who are providing such services. However, if you will follow the above-recommended steps, you will be able to find the right person for your case. Once you have made your choice, be sure to take the following into consideration:
- Retainer agreement
o Your injury lawyer should take the time to explain the retainer agreement and the specialized terms used in the said documents
o Financial information must be presented in the retainer agreement (fee basis/rate)
o Scope of representation – highlighted, so that you are confident your case will be properly handled
o Termination of understanding – how the agreement will end, depending on the stage of your case.
In conclusion, it is not difficult to find a personal injury lawyer, as long as you follow a few careful steps. Do not be in a hurry to choose the first lawyer you come across, as he/she might not be best suited for your case. Perform an extensive research and discuss your case with several personal injury lawyers, until you decide on a particular person. Keep in mind that you need to feel confident about your choice; if you are having doubts or hesitations, this might mean you will still need to look around. Always be straight with your lawyer and ask him/her to do the same, as this will guarantee the best outcome for your case.