BENBROOK – Two people were killed after a semi-truck collided with a pickup in Benbrook that shut down Interstate 20 in both directions Friday afternoon.
The accident happened around 2:30 p.m. Friday in the 7600 block of SW Loop 820 along I-20. Police say both of the vehicles were going westbound when they crashed near the 429A exit.
Two people were pronounced dead at the scene. A third person was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
By 4:30 p.m., police were letting some vehicles pass on the shoulders of the highway, said Detective Michael Mullinax, a Benbrook police spokesman. Most of the traffic was being directed to service roads and heavy delays continued through rush hour.
**Update, Saturday, March 11**
One of the victims was identified Saturday as 25-year-old David Flores of Dallas. He died at the scene.
Four ambulances and a helicopter responded to the collision, which throttled traffic through the rush hour. The cause of the accident is still being investigated.
Incidents like these are reminders that 18-wheeler trucking accident lawyers like Reyes Browne & Reilley are in the victims corner when large trucks are involved.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 438,000 trucking accidents occurred in 2014, resulting in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- Texas led the nation in fatal trucking accidents with 553 deaths recorded. California followed Texas with 300 trucking fatalities reported.