Losing a loved one is never easy, but when it is both unexpected and as a result of another person’s wrongful actions, it adds to your pain and anguish. If this happens, you may have grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit, in which there are several different economic and non-economic damages that you may be able to recover. A wrongful death claim may arise from a car accident, an animal attack, a fire, a slip and fall, a truck accident, medical malpractice, or an airplane crash, to name just a few examples.
Different Types of Damages That You May Be Able to Recover
In Texas, courts recognize the potential ripple effect of hardship created by the untimely death of a loved one. Not only do the surviving relatives often take a financial hit, but the emotional and psychological toll is often more significant.
While nothing can ever bring back the deceased, a qualified Dallas wrongful death lawyer knows how to navigate the legal system to help the surviving family members piece their lives back together. Here is a list of some of the more common types of damages that surviving relatives may recover in a Texas wrongful death claim:
- Doctor, hospital, and ambulance costs for the deceased between the time of the accident and when they died
- Pain and suffering incurred by the victim in the period between the accident and when they passed away
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Lost wages of the deceased
- Lost earning capacity, which covers what the deceased would have continued to earn had they not been in an accident
- Lost care, comfort, companionship, and support
- Loss of inheritance or likely gifts
- Pain and suffering of the survivors
- Exemplary damages, which are also known as punitive damages, are generally reserved for cases in which the defendant’s behavior was significantly egregious. These damages are meted out to deter both the defendant and the public at large
It Helps to Have Experience and a Successful Track Record on Your Side
At Reyes Browne Reilley, we strongly recommend that you hire a Dallas personal injury lawyer to aid in your pursuit of justice. Over the last 30 years, our attorneys have earned nearly $1 Billion in jury verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients. We put our clients first in our pursuit of justice, and we are proud of our 98% success rate.
Contact our team of Dallas car accident lawyers
If you have questions about what compensation is available in a Texas wrongful death claim, contact us right now to schedule a free consultation, as we are available 24 hours a day. We work on a contingency-fee-basis, so there are no upfront legal fees. We get paid when you do.