With the emergence of online shopping, we are seeing more and more delivery truck drivers out on our roads in Dallas. While it is more convenient to have your items delivered to your front door, some delivery truck drivers can cause serious accidents. They are assigned a long list of deliveries that must be completed in a limited amount of time. Unfortunately, some may not drive safely.
According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1,276 workers in 2018 were driving or riding in a motor vehicle and died in a work-related crash. Sadly, 9 percent of these fatal accidents involved delivery trucks or vans.
Common Causes of a Delivery Driver Accident
There are a number of different possible causes of a delivery truck accident, including the following:
- Fatigued delivery driver: Some delivery drivers work long hours without sufficient breaks
- Distracted driving: Whether they are trying to figure out where they are going, fumbling with a package, eating, or texting while driving, these types of accidents are all too common and may lead to rear-end collisions
- Speeding: As noted, many of these drivers are under significant pressure to complete all deliveries in a limited amount of time. They may be tempted to make up lost time by speeding
- Unsafe lane changes: Due to the size and shape of these delivery trucks, the drivers may have more difficulty seeing the surrounding area than a driver of a regular passenger vehicle.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol: Believe it or not, some delivery drivers will perform their job while under the influence.
- Delivery trucks that are not maintained properly or inspected regularly: If this is the case, it may not matter how safely the driver is driving–it is still only a matter of time before someone gets injured.
Do I Need an Attorney?
Determining which parties to pursue a legal claim against to recover financial compensation for your injuries can be complex. That is one reason why at Angel Reyes & Associates, we suggest that you hire an experienced Dallas truck accident lawyer to represent you.
What are my options?
Delivery truck accident victims often call us and ask, who should I sue? We explain that while the driver of the delivery truck is one potential defendant, other potential defendants can include the following:
- The driver’s company. However, you will stand a better chance of pursuing a claim against the driver’s company if the driver is an employee rather than an independent contractor.
- The entity that performs inspections and maintenance on the delivery truck.
- The manufacturers of the parts of the delivery truck.
- Other negligent drivers on the road.
- A government agency if, for example, there is an unreasonably dangerous road hazard that plays a role in causing your crash.
What the Right Attorney Can Do for You
Another reason to hire an experienced attorney as soon as possible is that the other side will undoubtedly have one. To level the playing field, you need to hire the right attorney who can investigate and build your case and then begin negotiating on your behalf to broker a potential settlement.
Suppose the other side refuses to extend a fair settlement offer to you. In that case, the right delivery van accident attorney will have the experience, resources, reputation, and skill to take your case all the way to trial. Without having an attorney as your advocate, you significantly reduce your chances of receiving a fair settlement offer.
Delays Can Reduce Your Case’s Value
The sooner you hire a lawyer, the better, as this enables your attorney to begin working for you right away. In delivery truck accident cases, crucial evidence may become more difficult to obtain if you wait too long. Eyewitnesses may become unreachable or no longer remember what they saw. Further, evidence at the scene of the accident may have been altered or removed, and surveillance camera footage that captured your crash may have been deleted.
Contact us today for a free consultation
At Angel Reyes & Associates, we have been serving injured Texans for over 30 years and have earned a 98 percent client success rate. We put our clients first and leave no stone unturned in our mission to maximize our client’s financial recovery. If you have been injured in a delivery truck accident, contact an injury attorney at Angel Reyes & Associates 24/7 to schedule your free case review. Our clients never pay us anything unless they win.