Accidents can disrupt your life and inflict tremendous trauma. This is especially true when an accident caused by another’s negligence results in a major injury. Injuries often go beyond the purely physical in their negative impact, potentially affecting you for years to come. Because of this, what qualifies as “pain and suffering” can include:
- Physical pain and distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional distress and long-term trauma
- Permanent physical or mental disability
- Loss of ability to perform daily activities
- Reduction or loss of life enjoyment
The personal injury lawyers at Reyes Browne Law will thoroughly investigate each facet of your case to determine all the categories of pain and suffering you qualify for under Texas law. We’ll also investigate whether your accident was due to negligence by another party.
The potential injuries associated with pain and suffering are a lot like the proverbial chicken and the egg, where the pain can either come as a result of the physical injury or cause lasting mental and emotional injuries.
Physical injuries can include:
- Bone breaks and fractures
- Lacerations and puncture wounds
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Damage to muscles and ligaments
- Damage to the eyes, ears, and face
- Damage to internal organs
Mental and emotional injuries can include:
- New or exacerbated mental illness (anxiety, depression, etc.)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Emotional dysregulation (mood swings, outbursts, etc.)
- Personality changes (aggression, fearfulness, withdrawal, etc.)
- Chronic nightmares
All of these potential injuries, along with any impairments to your quality of life, are considered when determining compensation for pain and suffering.
Pain and Suffering Settlement Examples
Because each personal injury situation is unique, there’s no simple pain and suffering calculator you can plug yours into to see your settlement amount. However, you can use our case calculator to get started with the process of estimating your compensation.
You may also find it useful to look at some of our case results to see the kinds of settlements we’ve won for past clients. The attorneys at Reyes Browne Law have years of experience getting clients the full compensation they’re entitled to.
What Should I Do?
Due to the complex nature of personal injury cases, it’s vital you seek good legal representation right away. Failure to act may result in a premature settlement from the party at fault, with the finalized case preventing you from getting the full compensation you could have otherwise received.
At Reyes Brown Law, we understand that the pain and suffering from an injury can change your life for the worse. Don’t go it alone—get the representation and compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.