While all motor vehicle crashes can be serious, the physical, emotional, and financial fallout from truck accidents is often devastating. Most smaller vehicles are no match for the size and weight of trucks, so the occupants typically pay a steep price. If this has happened to you or a loved one, contact us at Angel Reyes & Associates for a free consultation.
Many people believe that some of the major sports teams located in the DFW area are located in Dallas. However, they would be wrong in this assumption. With the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers both being in Arlington, this city holds half the major sports franchises in North Texas. It is extremely easy to say that Arlington is just as busy and just as fun as the big city of Dallas.
With that in mind, there will come a few drawbacks that Dallas has as well. The busyness of the roadways can come with large drawbacks. Even being within proximity to Dallas makes it that much more dangerous. Large trucks flying through backroads in attempts to avoid the busy interstates and highways during rush hour can prove to be deadly. Should you ever be unfortunate enough to have a run-in with a commercial vehicle or 18-wheeler, you need to find legal aid.
The complexities of an 18-wheeler accident case are exceedingly difficult to manage for the average consumer. Therefore, law firms like the Reyes Browne firm exist to help people as Arlington’s top-quality truck accident lawyers. Our Dallas truck accident lawyers are here to assure the insured are held liable for their wrongdoings which left your life changed forever.
What Happens after an 18-Wheeler Accident
After an 18-wheeler accident, the commercial policy holder’s insurance company is mounting a defense against you to minimize or even eliminate your claim for injuries and compensation for pain and suffering. Typically, when an 18-wheeler collides with a typical sedan, pick-up, or SUV, severe damages occur to each person that is in the vehicle. Commercial vehicles take larger policies out for instances like yours. These commercial policies are worth millions of dollars because the damage is typically so severe most people will have their lives altered forever and deserve compensation for this fact.
As you might expect, the injuries caused by large truck accidents are often severe and sometimes fatal. Some of them include:
- Fractured or broken bones
- Severe burns
- Deep cuts and lacerations
- Spine, neck, and back injuries, including whiplash
- Head injuries, including Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Partial or full paralysis
Like all other motorists, truck drivers are required to abide by all traffic safety laws. In addition, they must also comply with all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations, such as the following rules governing hours of service for the truck driver:
- They may drive for a maximum of 11 hours following 10 consecutive hours off duty
- They may not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period. In other words, even if the driver takes breaks while on duty, they still cannot drive past the 14th hour.
- If an individual has driven for eight cumulative hours without at least a 30-minute interruption, then they are required to take a 30-minute break.
- A driver may not work after 60 hours on duty in a seven-day period or 70 hours in eight days. Moreover, a driver may not restart another seven or eight-day period until they take at least 34 consecutive hours break.
To file a truck accident lawsuit, you must prove that the driver or another entity associated with the truck was negligent. In addition to the driver, other parties that may have been negligent include the owner of the truck, the driver’s employer, the truck’s maintenance technician, or the manufacturer(s) of the truck’s parts.
One of the key elements of a negligence claim is that the defendant breached their duty of care. Examples of this in a truck accident include the following:
- The driver is speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, texting while driving, or runs a red light.
- In an effort to make a delivery on time, the trucking company cuts some corners and insists that the driver works for 20 hours straight. As a result of this violation, the driver falls asleep at the wheel and crashes into your vehicle.
- You are traveling at a safe distance behind a large truck on I-20 East. Suddenly, some of the truck’s cargo falls out– right in front of you, causing a serious crash.
- You stop at a red light on a two-lane highway when suddenly you are rear-ended by a large truck. In that scenario, an experienced truck accident lawyer in Arlington investigates the truck’s maintenance records and finds that the brakes have not been inspected for two years.
- You are driving next to a large truck on U.S. Highway 287 when one of the truck’s tires detaches. This sends the truck spiraling out of control, causing a serious crash. A personal injury attorney in Arlington later discovers that the tire was defective, and therefore the fault of the manufacturer.
Do Not Delay: Hire an Arlington Truck Accident Attorney now
If you have been injured, we strongly urge you to consult with one of our Arlington 18-wheeler accident attorneys as soon as possible. We will ensure that you understand your legal rights, the strengths and weaknesses of your case, and the approximate value of your claim.
At Reyes Browne, our attorneys work for our clients. It is never the other way around. You hire us, we work for you. When we work for you, we work for free until after we win your case. This means that you do not have to worry about paying lawyer bills to keep our team working. The lawyers in our office work tirelessly to get you the proper compensation from the insurance company to get your medical bills covered and to pay any fees you would owe us. Nothing ever comes out of your pocket for our services. You can count on us to handle everything with ease and make this process far easier for you than it would be, had you gone with any other law firm.
Over the last 30 years, we have been pursuing justice for injured victims. Not only have we recovered nearly $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients, but our 98 percent client success rate illustrates our consistent track record.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, call us 24/7 to book a cost-free case review with a truck accident attorney in Arlington, TX. Because we work on a contingency fee basis, you will never see a bill from us unless you win your case.