A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can change the victim’s life forever. Some TBI’s are relatively mild, causing a brief change in mental state, while others are much more severe and lead to permanent and significant disability.
Close relatives of the victim often see their lives change significantly and permanently as well due to the TBI, as the victim may need frequent supervision and aid in order to complete everyday tasks that most of us take for granted.
If you or a loved one have experienced a TBI that may be the result of another party’s negligence, you could be eligible for substantial monetary compensation to cover past, present, and future medical bills, as well as lost wages, and other damages. These cases are complex to litigate and the burden of proof is high, which is why you need an experienced personal injury law firm on your side with a proven track record of exceptional results. Don’t delay in contacting the Dallas brain injury lawyers at Reyes Browne, and let us take the lead in pursuing full and fair financial restitution so that you can focus on your recovery.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
A TBI is typically caused by some sort of blow, jolt, or bump to the head. Common causes of TBI that can lead to successful personal injury lawsuits include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- DWI accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
A Qualified Dallas Brain Injury Lawyer Understands the Gravity of These Injuries
Many of these aforementioned accidents are caused by the wrongdoing of another party, further adding to the injustice of the potentially life-altering TBI sustained by the victim. Per the Center for Disease Controls and Prevention, falls are the primary culprit in terms of causing TBIs and occur most frequently in minors and those who are 65-and-over. In 2014, 49% of the emergency department visits by minors where a TBI was a factor were caused by falls. In that same year, 81% of TBI-associated trips to the emergency room by people over 65 were caused by falls.
According to the CDC, the prevalence of traumatic brain injuries is alarming. From 2006-14, the number of hospitalizations, visits to emergency rooms, and deaths linked to a TBI increased by a staggering 53 percent. In 2014 alone, TBI was a contributing factor in the deaths of 56,800 people, with 2,529 of those being minors.
How Does a TBI Affect the Victim?
The brain is the control center for the entire body, so when its functions are significantly and permanently impaired, the victim’s life will never be the same. Not only may the victim suffer from TBI symptoms such as severe impairment of physical functioning, but his or her mental and emotional states could also be forever altered as well.
A traumatic brain injury may permanently impair the victim’s thinking, movement, sensation, memory, or emotional functioning. The medical costs associated both with the initial accident and the regular ongoing care for decades to come can be staggering, so it is crucial to enlist the help of the right Dallas brain injury attorney to fight for market value financial compensation in your case.
Possible Damages in TBI Lawsuits
As mentioned above, the costs of treating a TBI victim over the years can be overwhelming, and that is why it is so important that you hire the right attorney to stand in your corner and help maximize your financial recovery.
Compensation available in traumatic brain injury settlements may include:
- Medical costs that could last for the remainder of the victim’s life, such as past and future operations, physical therapy, treatment, medication, prescriptions, daily in-home care, rehabilitation, and any accommodations made necessary by the victim’s disability.
- Lost wages that cover any time from work that the victim was forced to miss due to the injury, and also future lost earning capacity if the victim’s disability affects his or her ability to return to the same level of employment that he or she enjoyed prior to the accident.
- The pain and suffering in the aftermath of these injuries can be excruciating, and in more serious cases of TBIs, that pain and suffering may never subside.
- Any property damages sustained in the TBI-inducing accident, which in these cases, will often manifest in necessary vehicle repairs.
- Punitive damages may be warranted in cases where the wrongdoer’s behavior was particularly egregious, as this is the legal system’s method for both punishing the perpetrator and also deterring the wrongdoer and society at large from doing something like this in the future.
At Reyes Browne, our experienced team secured a $650,000 back injury accident settlement. This recovery was for a car accident victim who sustained a critical back injury and traumatic brain injury.
A Local Results-Oriented Firm; Call for a Free Consultation
The law firm of Reyes Browne has the experience and track record to both understand the intricacies of these cases and work tenaciously to maximize your financial compensation. We have been representing Texans for over 30 years, and are proud of our 98% success rate. If you have questions about traumatic brain injury lawsuits, contact our firm 24 hours a day to coordinate your free consultation with a dedicated and knowledgeable Dallas brain injury lawyer. You will not pay us anything unless we prevail in your case.